Beauty of Nature Kit altered Bird Cage

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hi everyone! 
Today I am having the pleasure of playing around with the newest kit,
and 
I want to make sure you know that there is an extra bonus for this month only:

If you sign up for a subscription (3 or 6 months) you can select one of our 2013 kits for FREE! (This includes Sea Breeze, Family Blessings, Season of Stars, October Mixed Media Kit, November Mixed Media Kit, or December Mixed Media Kit.) Leave a note telling us which kit you would like when you checkout. If you have questions, send an email to barb@frosted-designs.com! 


Now I admit, I can be a bit of a nut when I get one of these fabulous kits, because I visualize not only cards and lay outs but all sorts of home decor items that can be created from the papers and embellishments! This particular kit just makes me itch for being outdoors, sitting on my balcony and sipping a cool ice tea while the hummingbirds and butterflies go whizzing by, so I decided to upgrade my old birdcage with this gorgeous line of goodies!

Last year I had patinated the cage, but I wanted to add a little pizzazz to the metal so I painted on some Mission Bells Brown Magicals to the bars here and there to create a little shimmer. ( I did cover this with Helmar's Crystal KOTE Gloss Varnish to protect it against the outdoor elements. )

Next came the butterflies, you get 3 different kinds of butterflies: Prima's Wood Die-Cut Icons, Marion Smith's Junque & Gems MetalUm Wow's Nature Walk Insect Chipboard. I wanted them to all look similar to the metal one, so the wood and the chipboard ones got a layer of the Mission Bells Brown Magical.
( You can also see how I twisted on the KaiserCraft Paper Blooms to the branch. )

I even created my own custom color by combining equal parts of the Mission Bells Brown and the Bells of Ireland Green Magicals to get a subtle Olive color which I used to paint the branch with...
neat, huh?
I found that the Magicals mix so well together, just think of the colors we can make?

Next I added some of beautiful pattern papers to the base of the birdcage:

My last step was to decorate the door of the cage with one of the Marion Smith Junque & Gems Metal Butterfly Embellishment, a Chipboard Flourish from Maya Road ( covered with my Olive Magical creation ), and a Prima Crochet Icon.

Now that's thinking outside of the cage....box! 



6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Beauty of Nature Kit altered Bird Cage”

Jean said...

Wow - Way to think outside the box! This is gorgeous!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! This is gorgeous!!!!! I love what you did with it!!!!!!!

Brandi Matos said...

Fabulous job... yet again Sandee!!! You are truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie said...

Love this Sandee!! I will have to try mixing magicals...

Megan Smith (aka Daisymeh) said...

This is stunning Sandee!! You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness.....love this!!! Anything patina is top notch in my book...lol. Love how you incorporated the paper elements into the bird cage. You have an amazing knack for thinking outside the cage....I mean box that my brain just doesn't process until I see it. Then it just smacks me upside the head and asks, Why didn't YOU think of that??!!!
Hugs, Yvonne